I thought I would share my top tips to how I shop and avoid buying rubbish that I really don’t want my family or me to eat. If it’s not in then it won’t tempt you.
Rules for shopping:
- Never shop on an empty stomach. You more likely to buy rubbish or junk food, because your blood sugar is low.
- Planning is key. Plan your meals and snacks and then write a shopping list from that and stick to it. Don’t be tempted.
- Consider the whole family’s needs and preferences with shopping including your own.
- Try something new because variety is the spice of life and you never know you may actually like it.
- Consider what are your stables- cupboard, fridge, freezer and check your stock before you shop so you don’t over buy or run out of things.
- When planning your meals before you shop think about the 3 food groups carbs, protein, veg or salad. Do all your meals have all three? If not shop so they do.
- Plan your shopping list in the order of the supermarket i.e. fruit and veg together, chilled together to save time. There are some great apps to help with this.
- Keep sugary/fatty treats to a minimum and as treats not regular items. Kids don’t need them daily really. If it’s not in and they are hungry they will eat what is available.
- Consider quick and easy recipe for your busy days. Better to buy prepped or frozen veg than grab a takeaway.
- Enjoy the experience and include the family. It’s a life skill.