What is ‘The hunger scale’ model?
This is a fabulous tool that helps you manage the follow questions:
Do you eat when it’s time to eat even though you are not hungry?
Do you often find yourself feeling bloated after each meal?
Do you always finish what’s on your plate even though you are full?
Do you find you have inhaled a meal and not even tasted it or could say what it was you ate?
If the answer to these questions are yes and they are stopping you from achieving your goals then you need to know about the hunger scale below.
1 4 5 6 10
1 = just about to faint with hunger 5= comfortable and content 10= after x-mas diner full
The idea is that you firstly learn how you do hunger and full. We all have our own unique neurological signals for how we do hunger and full. An NLP practitioner can help you to identify your own unique signs. Once you are familiar with your signals you then can use them to work with the hunger scale.
Hunger scale rules:
- Always and only eat when you are at number 4, irrespective of what time it is. Your body is telling you it needs fuel. Don’t ignore it!
- Always stop when you are number 6, even if there is food still on your plate. Yr body is saying ENOUGH don’t ignore it!
- Plan ahead to allow you to eat in this way i.e healthy snacks.
- Choose healthy foods 80% of the time, working on the 80/20 rule.
- Eat slowly don’t override your full signal with fast eating.
- Notice and pay attention to your food, no screens eg Ipads, phones, tvs etc. Pay humage to the fuel you are putting in your body.
- If unsure about if you are at 4 or 6 then stop and don’t eat, because if you were at 4 the feeling and signal would be too strong to ignore and you would keep feeling your signal for 4, triggering you to eat. If halfway through a meal you weren’t sure if you were at 6, the chances are you are. So Stop eating, you can always eat again later if you are at 4 again. The advantages to living in an affluent society, food is always available!
- Check out is it thirst or hunger? The two are often mixed up.
N.B. this will challenge your beliefs, but the idea is you form new beliefs and relationships with food to help you maintain a healthy weight for life!
If you would like help to explore your signals and develop new pathways and approaches to healthy eating for life call Dimple on Tel:07855502952, and book your first session today. It’s your first step to a new you.